We are always looking for volunteers who will mentor for Starting Point. Below are the details of what that looks like.
As a volunteer mentor, you will:
- Be given relevant training on mentoring and factors affecting young people today.
- Meet with an assigned young person, usually for an hour once a week and also call or text the young person offering encouragement and support.
- Aid the young person during meetings with the things that they need to do. This may include but will not be limited to: completing application forms, accompanying to interviews, building their confidence and self-esteem, listening to them as they share their concerns, hopes and ambitions and making inquiries on their behalf.
- Signpost the young person to other services which may be able to help them, such as Adviza, Jobcentre Plus, Reading College etc.
- Contact the project manager if you have any questions or concerns about a young person or need more information than you are able to access.
- Attend regular supervision sessions to support those who volunteer as mentors with Starting Point.
For further information and an application form contact us.