Winterwatch 2017/18 – Helping vulnerable residents stay warm this winter.
Reading Borough Council's fuel poverty campaign Winterwatch is due to commence at the start of October 2017 and will run until April 2018. We help residents who are older, disabled, have a long term health condition, have children under 5, families struggling with large financial debt or anyone finding it difficult to keep their homes warm through the cold winter months.
We carry out the following:
Home energy checks.
- Draught proofing.
- Applying for government grants to improve older properties such as loft and cavity wall installation.
- Application for Warm home discounts (£140) for residents on certain benefits.
- Providing heating equipment such as blankets, duvets, heaters and dehumidifiers.
- One off emergency credit payments.
- Advice on how to operate heaters and costings to use appliances around the home.
- Advice about switching energy suppliers saving residents hundreds of pounds each year.
- Arranging for Smart meters to be installed helping residents keep track how much they spend on gas and electric each day.
- Negotiating with energy suppliers and arranging large debts to be paid off at an affordable rate.
- Helping residents understand their meters
- Explaining to residents how to read their energy bills.
- Registering residents on their energy suppliers priority list for extra help.